This National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM), AHRC Nassau profiled men and women with disabilities, making a difference in the workplace and demonstrating the power of a diverse and talented workforce:
- Margaret Baylis, Porter Assistant at the Department of Labor in Hicksville, recognized as a NYSID William B. Joslin Outstanding Performer
- Robert Callari, Porter, Top Flight Foods at Jones Beach
- Jeffrey Jean-Pierre, Maintenance Associate, HomeSense in Carle Place
Interested in continuing to advocate for increased inclusion in the workplace? Here’s how:
- Share Success Stories. Every week, we’ll be posting stories on our website and social media of people in our community thriving at work, like Jeffrey Jean-Pierre. We invite you to share stories too. Just tag us on social media and include #ndeam
- Support the Better Care, Better Jobs Act. This proposed $400 billion funding would increase access to services as well as long-overdue investment in the direct care workforce. We have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to modernize and strengthen the outdated infrastructure behind our nation’s disability services system, Medicaid. Make it count and ACT NOW to tell Congress to fund home and community-based services through the Better Care, Better Jobs Act — a historic investment in disability services! #CareCantWait #BetterCareBetterJobsNow
- Participate in The Arc of the United States’ “Raise Our Voices for Care” campaign. Even if you can’t get to DC, your state capitol, or a local town hall, your story still matters and must be shared. The Arc’s story tool is easy to use. At the end of recess, The Arc will put all of those stories together to show the strength of all the voices rising up to support the $400 billion investment in Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services.
- Click here to send an email to Sen. Schumer, Sen. Gillibrand, and your local congressional representative. Let them know you support this historic investment in home and community-based services.
- Give your federal lawmakers a call. Find their contact information, here.
- Share your support on social media tagging these lawmakers with #BetterCareBetterJobsAct #HCBS #CareIsEssential
- Check out the free webinar, “Better Care Better Jobs Act: What Grassroots Need to Know.”
- Check out a recent analysis of the act’s impact with state-level data included.